Monday, May 12, 2008

The Anonymity of the Internet

As I do some of my business on the internet through message boards, etc, I am increasingly becoming aware of an issue that affects many of us. It is the idea that just because you are posting on a message board, blog, or elsewhere, you can end up saying things that you never would in person. I am finding this to be quite disturbing, as I read some of the comments that people leave about others. My question whenever I post is this - "If I were face-to-face with this person, would I say this?" Unfortunately, I think a lot of other people do not filter their statements this way. Or, perhaps, there are more rude people in the world than I originally estimated. I'm thinking, though, that it is because we have a feeling of anonymity when we post online that we do not have in real life.

As I consider working from home and attempting to build a business online, I recognize that maintaining a positive outlook - whether online or face-to-face - is essential. If you are looking to build your business, build relationships, or just maintain friendships, it is important to keep your online posts positive and encouraging rather than degrading or critical of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.