Friday, November 9, 2007

Money, Money, Money!

Money is something that some people like to talk about, and others don't. I used to be one of the ones who didn't like to talk about it. I grew up in a family that had to pinch every penny to get by. We lived in apartments most of our lives, until I was about 12 and then my parents bought a trailer. It was only a trailer, but we were so excited! We finally had a place of our own. When I was in college, my mom finally had a house built. But I never remember money being the topic of conversation growing up. It was almost like money was bad or wrong to talk about.

During college I went through a phase of really pondering the issues of wealth and poverty. I started to become somewhat critcal of anyone who had money, because I had seen so many people living in such poverty in developing countries. I started to think that living in poverty somehow related to spirituality. And, yes, I do still believe that people who live simply tend to have more of an appreciation for their faith. I'm not sure, however, that it's the actual money or lack thereof that relates to spirituality, but rather the attitude one holds towards money.

Now, I recognize that what we do with the money God gives us is a way to be a good steward. I just got the book, "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. One of the leaders in my business mentioned this on a training call, and he said that our company provided the top performers with this book. You see, one of the principles that my company promotes is financial freedom. I now know that becoming financially free is a possibility - one that I never imagined before. I know that because of the success I have already had, and the success of many others on my team.

So I am looking forward to reading "The Total Money Makeover", because I know that it's not just about earning money, but it's about what to do with it. I can't wait until we have paid off my student loans, our car loan, and our mortgage! It will be a great day. The best part of that is, I know that the more financially free we are, the more we can give to others and the causes we believe in. And that's what it's all about... being able to help others improve their lives!

1 comment:

Amazon Quick Cash said...

You really hit the nail on the head with this post! I feel very similiar to how you feel about money. While I am, by no means, financially wealthy, but I consider myself rich in so many other ways, yet I strive to attain more money not only to further myself and family, but to help others and give, give, give to the so many needy people all over the world that have so much less than I do. I'm going to look into that book you talked about. Great blog. I'll be back to visit!