Monday, November 19, 2007

People in Need this Holiday Season

Last night I was watching the news, and they were talking about more people being in need during this holiday season. Many more people are going to food pantries and soup kitchens, because they don't have enough money to get the food they need. Part of this is due to the rising cost of fuel, and here in Maine, it's expensive to heat your home during the winter. Many people have to choose between heat and food.

As I was listening, many thoughts came to mind. One is that I am so thankful I am not in that situation. Secondly, I think there are things that we can all do to help prevent those situations in our lives, as well as help others who are in those situations:

  • Live within your means. Going along with my previous post about money, it's important to not use credit and instead use cash. Only buy the things you can afford. For example, my husband and I have had our home for about 4 years now. We have had a project we've wanted to do since we bought the house, but we didn't have the money to do it. We could've used credit or even gotten a home equity loan, but we chose to wait until we had the cash. Now, with my business, we've been able to pay for the projects without going into debt.
  • Help others. This may mean sacrificing time instead of money. Most people like to give money during the holidays, which is great. But again, if you are strapped for cash, why not donate 2 or 3 hours at a local food pantry or soup kitchen? You might meet some great people as well as serve your community. In fact, this is something we can do all year round. While I was in college, I spent almost every Saturday morning in Boston handing out food and clothing to people who were homeless. More importantly, though, we were listening to their stories and developing relationships.
  • Get rid of stuff. If you have too much stuff (most of us do), get rid of some of it! Go through your closet and get rid of clothes you never wear. It is freeing and helps others. Donate it somewhere where you know people who need it will get it.
  • Take advantage of opportunities. Last year at this time, I would not have guess that I would've earned over $10,000 with a home-based business within a year. See, my other business at the time was not very productive. In fact, I was just barely breaking even. When my friend called me about a new company, I was skeptical at best. I am so THANKFUL that she called and shared the opportunity with me. Now, I have safer products in my home AND a business that is working.
So, what will you do this week? Will you choose to live within your means? Will you help others by donating time or money? Will you get rid of some stuff? Will you take advantage of opportunities that can improve your life and others as well?

No comments: